In Northern Spain, there’s a long-standing tradition of gastronomic societies (or dinner clubs, to you and us). Known as txokos, these gatherings are a place where friends meet to cook and, er, Basque in their love of all things food and wine. They’re like gigantic dinner parties, but with even better food and the odd song.
The history of txokos (pronounced: chock-oh) goes way back to the first of its kind in 1870 in the city of San Sebastián. But the story you should really be interested in is the one which led to the creation of Beronia – wine producers extraordinaire and the team behind this wonderful competition.
In the 1970s, the founders of Beronia formed a txoko of their own in the small town of Ollauri in Rioja Alta. Unsatisfied with the quality of wine they could get their hands on at the time, they decided to produce their own premium wines to pair with their delicious culinary creations. Out of this came Bodegas Beronia, a now multi-award-winning Rioja and Rueda winery, that was named the 2018 IWSC Spanish Wine Producer of the Year.
Not a bad effort from a bunch of friends looking for a good time, if you ask us. The winery still encourages big get-togethers through its Beronia Txoko Club, so after you’ve entered this competition to win a year’s supply of Beronia wine, why not hop over to beroniatxoko.co.uk to check out events and grab recipes and inspiration for organising your own Basque get-together?
This sounds like the perfect kind of evening to us. In fact, we might just call our friends and share the enjoyment of preparing delicious food together and wash it down with superb Spanish wine.
Want to win a year’s supply of Beronia wine plus a txoko kit of your own? Of course you do! And entering couldn’t be easier – all you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is answer a simple question. The prize includes 12 x 6 bottle cases of the finest Beronia wines, plus everything you’ll need to host an authentic Basque evening.
For more info on how to visit the Beronia winery when you’re in Rioja, head to beronia. com/en/wine-tourism
The question is: When was the first txoko said to have been created?
Competition closes: 9th October 2019
How to enter:
- This competition to win a Years Supply of Beronia Wines will open on September 9th 2019 at 12pm (GMT) and will close on October 9th at 11:00pm (GMT).
- No liability will be accepted by Gonzalez Byass UK (the distributors of Beronia in the UK) for illegible, incomplete or entries submitted late.
- This competition is open only to residents in the United Kingdom aged 18 or over (at the time of entering) who have a photographic form of ID.
- Any entries from individuals who work for Gonzalez Byass UK and any from their friends and relatives will be disqualified from entering the competition.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- The prize is 12 x 6 bottle cases of Beronia Wines to be supplied over a 12 month period (75cl).
- Prizes are non-negotiable, non-transferable, and not exchangeable and have no cash alternative.
- Gonzalez Byass UK reserves the right to an alternative prize, of equal or greater value, should the advertised prizes become unavailable for any reason beyond their control.